(all co-authorships listed alphabetically)
Peer Reviewed Publications
1. Where is Silicon Valley?
Guzman, J and S Stern. 2015.
Science. 347(6222): 606-609 (link)
2. Gender Gap in Entrepreneurship.
Guzman, J and A Kacperczyk. 2019.
Research Policy. 48 (9): 1666-1680. (link)
3.The State of American Entrepreneurship? New Estimates of the Quantity and Quality of Entrepreneurship for
32 US States, 1988-2014
Guzman, J and S Stern. 2020.
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy. 12 (4): 212-43 (link)
4. The Impact of State-Level R&D Tax Credits on the Quantity and Quality of Entrepreneurship
Fazio, C, J Guzman and S Stern. 2020.
Economic Development Quarterly. 34(2):188-208. (link)
5. What Motivates Innovative Entrepreneurs? Evidence from a Global Field Experiment.
Guzman, J, J Oh and A Sen. 2020.
Management Science. 66 (10): 4808-19. (link)
6. What is the U.S. Comparative Advantage in Entrepreneurship? Evidence from Israeli Migrations to the United States.
Conti, A, and J Guzman. 2021.
The Review of Economics and Statistics. Forthcoming (link)
7. Measuring Founding Strategy
Guzman, J, and A Li. 2021.
Management Science. Forthcoming. (link)
8. The Startup Cartography Project: Measuring and Mapping Entrepreneurial Ecosystems.
Andrews, RJ, C Fazio, Y Liu, J Guzman, and S Stern. 2022.
Research Policy. 51 (2). (link)
Revise & Resubmit
9. Go West Young Firm: The Benefits of Startup Relocation to Silicon Valley
Guzman, J. 2018.
Revise & Resubmit at Management Science. (link)
10. The Direct Effect of Corporate Law on Entrepreneurship.
Guzman, J. 2020.
Revise & Resubmit at The Journal of Law, Economics, and Organizations. (link)
11. Entrepreneurial Migration.
Bryan, K, and J Guzman. 2021.
Revise & Resubmit at The Review of Economics and Statistics. (link)
12. Herding in the Market for Startup Acquisitions.
Conti, A, J Guzman, and R Rabi. 2020. (link)
13. Partisan Entrepreneurship
Engelberg, J, J Guzman, R Liu, and W Mullins. 2021.(link)
14. How is COVID Changing the Geography of Entrepreneurship? Evidence from the Startup Cartography Project
Fazio, C, J Guzman, Y Liu, and S Stern. 2021. (link)
15. Treatment Effects in Strategic Management
Guzman, J. 2021. (link)
16. The Impact of High Skilled Immigration on Regional Entrepreneurship.
Guzman, J, I Tareque, and Dan Wang. 2022.(link)
17. Climate Change Framing and Innovator Attention: Evidence from an Email Field Experiment
Guzman, J, J Oh, and A Sen. 2020. (link)
18. The Economic Effects of Immigration Pardons: Evidence from Venezuelan Entrepreneurs in Colombia
Bahar, Dany, Bo Cowgill, and Jorge Guzman. 2022. (link)
Inactive Working Papers
19. Passive Versus Active Growth: Evidence from Founder Choices and Venture Capital Investment.
Catalini, C, J Guzman and S Stern. 2019. (link)
20. Short Term Credit Costs and U.S. Entrepreneurship.
Guzman, J, and Y Liu. 2020. (link)
19. Guzman, Jorge and Scott Stern. 2017. Nowcasting and Placecasting Entrepreneurial Quality and Performance. in Measuring Entrepreneurial Businesses: Current Knowledge and Challenges. Eds. John Haltiwanger, Erik Hurst, Javier Miranda, and Antoinette Schoar. University of Chicago Press. 1st Edition. (link)
Policy Reports and Press Articles
20. Fazio, Cathy, Jorge Guzman, Fiona Murray and Scott Stern. 2016. A New View of the Skew: A Quantitative Assessment of the Quality of American Entrepreneurship. MIT Innovation Initiative Laboratory for Innovation Science and Policy. Policy Report
21. Fazio, Cathy, Jorge Guzman, and Scott Stern. 2020. New businesses need a big rescue, too (link)
The Startup Cartography Project
joint with RJ Andrews, Catherine Fazio, Yupeng Liu, and Scott Stern.
This project leverages population-level business registration records and predictive analytics to form novel measures of entrepreneurial quantity, quality and performance at an arbitrary level of geographic and temporal granularity. The purpose of this website is to provide a public access interactive website, data repository, and research archive that makes this work accessible to researchers, public and private sector analysts, and the public. The website tools are designed to facilitate detailed visualization of entrepreneurial ecosystems (at multiple levels of visualization), track entrepreneurial dynamics over time, and provide data that might be applicable to a wide range of research and policy purposes.
Visit us at: https://www.startupcartography.com/