(all co-authorships listed alphabetically)
Peer Reviewed Publications
1. Guzman, J and S Stern. 2015. “Where is Silicon Valley?”
347(6222): 606-609 (link)
2. Guzman, J and A Kacperczyk. 2019. “Gender Gap in Entrepreneurship”.
48 (9): 1666-1680. (link)
3. Guzman, J and S Stern. 2020. “The State of American Entrepreneurship? New Estimates of the Quantity and Quality of Entrepreneurship for 32 US States, 1988-2014”
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy.
12 (4): 212-43 (link)
4. Fazio, C, J Guzman and S Stern. 2020. “The Impact of State-Level R&D Tax Credits on the Quantity and Quality of Entrepreneurship”.
Economic Development Quarterly.
5. Guzman, J, J Oh and A Sen. 2020. “What Motivates Innovative Entrepreneurs? Evidence from a Global Field Experiment.”
66 (10): 4808-19. (link)
Revise & Resubmit
6. Guzman, J, and A Li. 2019. "Measuring Founding Strategy."
Revise & Resubmit at Management Science.
7. Conti, A, and J Guzman. 2019. “Is There an U.S. Comparative Advantage in Entrepreneurship? Evidence from Israeli Migrations to the United States”.
Revise & Resubmit at The Review of Economics and Statistics.
8. Andrews, RJ, C Fazio, Y Liu, J Guzman, and S Stern. 2020. “The Startup Cartography Project: Measuring and Mapping Entrepreneurial Ecosystems”.
Revise & Resubmit at Research Policy.
9. Catalini, C, J Guzman and S Stern. 2019. “Passive Versus Active Growth: Evidence from Founder Choices and Venture Capital Investment”. (link)
10. Guzman, J. 2018."Go West Young Firm: The Benefits of Startup Relocation to Silicon Valley". (link)
11. Guzman, J, and Y Liu. 2020. "Short Term Credit Costs and U.S. Entrepreneurship." (link)
12. Guzman, J. 2020. "The Direct Effect of Corporate Law on Entrepreneurship." (link)
13. Conti, A, J Guzman, and R Rabi. 2020. "Information Frictions in the Market for Startup Acquisitions." (link)
14. Guzman, J, J Oh, and A Sen. 2020. "How Do (Green) Innovators Respond to Climate Change Scenarios? Evidence from a Field Experiment" (link)
14. Guzman, Jorge and Scott Stern. 2017. “Nowcasting and Placecasting Entrepreneurial Quality and Performance”. in Measuring Entrepreneurial Businesses: Current Knowledge and Challenges. Eds. John Haltiwanger, Erik Hurst, Javier Miranda, and Antoinette Schoar. University of Chicago Press. 1st Edition. (link)
Policy Reports and Press Articles
15. Fazio, Cathy, Jorge Guzman, Fiona Murray and Scott Stern. 2016. “A New View of the Skew: A Quantitative Assessment of the Quality of American Entrepreneurship”. MIT Innovation Initiative Laboratory for Innovation Science and Policy. Policy Report
16. Fazio, Cathy, Jorge Guzman, and Scott Stern. 2020. "New businesses need a big rescue, too" (link)
The Startup Cartography Project
joint with RJ Andrews, Catherine Fazio, Yupeng Liu, and Scott Stern.
This project leverages population-level business registration records and predictive analytics to form novel measures of entrepreneurial quantity, quality and performance at an arbitrary level of geographic and temporal granularity. The purpose of this website is to provide a public access interactive website, data repository, and research archive that makes this work accessible to researchers, public and private sector analysts, and the public. The website tools are designed to facilitate detailed visualization of entrepreneurial ecosystems (at multiple levels of visualization), track entrepreneurial dynamics over time, and provide data that might be applicable to a wide range of research and policy purposes.
Visit us at: